Thursday, December 10, 2015

The End of Fringe

No.

Fringe is not Star Wars.

Yes.

I know this.

But, it is a show with plenty of Star Wars references, some of which are deeply hidden. Plus-- JJ Abrams. And, quite honestly, it's brilliant.

I've come to the end of it, having intermittently binge-watched it as I had opportunity. Though I was invested in the characters and story, I wasn't expecting the sudden tears-blurring-the-eyes response I ended up with.

Early in the first season I came to deeply respect Olivia Dunham. It was interesting to see different versions of her-- an alternate Olivia, a couple different options for Future Olivia, Olivia with a different history, raised by different people, past Olivias...

Recently, JJ said that the goal for Star Wars is to not just be something that fathers take their sons to see, but something mothers take their daughters to see as well. Star Wars has never been anti-girl, and there have been girl fans from the beginning, but I'm excited to see more and more awesome female characters as we continue with the new films and Rebels.

So no, Fringe is not Star Wars, but in a few ways it is close kin. Themes of hope and refusing to accept what seems inevitable, fighting instead for a better future, these things they share. I can't tell you how happy I am that JJ has been directing Ep VII.

And JJ? My Mom is taking me, her daughter, to see The Force Awakens as my Christmas present. It's going to be one amazing gift, and I can't wait.

May the Force be with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment