Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Force Awakens... Next Week!

I first became aware of "The new Star Wars movie" last year, right around Thanksgiving. I remember when we received a name-- The Force Awakens. I remember that first image released, and how we speculated as to what it might imply.


At that time, Ep VII felt so far away. I remember the excitement that exploded December 18, 2014 as we reached the "One year away" mark. The count-downs. Again, more speculations.

Now it's next week.

Next week.

I confess that it doesn't seem real. It probably won't seem real until I step into the theater and get in line.

It may not feel real until I'm in my seat watching trailers.

Of course... it may not feel real when the film is finally there, and we're seeing the logos at the beginning. It might not feel real until it's over, and I'm somehow walking out of the theater, trying to make sense of it all.

But what I can promise you is that I will enjoy every second of it.

The Prequel Trilogy was different from the Original Trilogy. That's good. It's right. It's wonderful. Though the Sequel Trilogy is being marketed as the Original Trilogy extended, I fully expect this new Trilogy to be its own, unique entity.

Which is also good, wonderful, and right.

Star Wars is many things, not just one thing. It has many textures and themes, and for each individual fan, Star Wars is something just a little different. Because of its intense diversity, from Originals to Clone Wars to Prequels to Rebels to canon to Legends, from zombies to witches to X-Wings to battle droids-- Star Wars has something for everyone. It is slowly reaching into every genre. The Clone Wars was a wonderful demonstration of that. Episodes ranged in feel from playful to very dark, and could be centered around good guys, bad guys, and every sort in between, younglings or droids, politicians or warriors, clones or crime lords. Adventures, missions, quests, or the more quiet home life of Anakin and Padmé-- windows into different aspects of the Star Wars Universe.

So I'll say it again. Star Wars isn't just one thing. It is many, many things at once. Whether certain fans like that fact or not, it is a beautiful reality.

Whatever this new Trilogy ends up being, I will love it. Not because it matches some preconceived notion I have in my head about what I think Star Wars "should" be, but because it is Star Wars. It's the continuation of the mythos. It's canon, and I can't wait for the new vistas it will open up in books, comics, cosplay, Anthology films, TV series, discussions, and of course, brand-new Star Wars fans who join the giant Star Wars family because of the Sequel Trilogy, and who will prefer it to Originals and Prequels. I greet you ahead of time!

The Force will be with you, always... and especially next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment