Sunday, August 13, 2017

First Time Read: New Jedi Order Book 9, Rebirth Chapters 1-11

Warning: This post will contain spoilers for the specified chapters of this novel, any chapters that came before this selection of chapters, and any novels that came before this book in the New Jedi Order series.


Fun fact about me: my reading order through the EU has been in-universe chronologically. So yes, I read Dawn of the Jedi, then the Old Republic novels, marched on up through Cloak of Deception, all the Clone Wars things, through the Original Trilogy, through post RoTJ...

And into the era of the Yuuzhan Vong. My momentum slowed drastically over the course of the first view books to the point where I am now... reading this book for a year. Not an exaggeration.

Because I've now read all the EU novels that occur in-universe chronologically before the Yuuzhan Vong war, and the possibility of reveals are the only things keeping me going through this series, I have to get through it before I move on to the eras after.

Before, if I ended up losing steam on a book, I'd just shift over to a different one in the same era so I wouldn't burn out on any of them. I'm afraid I've used up all those extra books now, so I'm stuck.

So yes, it's taken me twelve months to get through the first eleven chapters of Rebirth, by Greg Keyes. It's the second book in a duology that appears in the middle of the New Jedi Order series.

My favorite character in this book so far has been Nen Yim, the Shaper child of Yun Yuuzhan who is trying to save her worldship even if doing so means disgrace and a glory-less death.

I think my favorite moment has been a very sweet R2 and 3PO scene when 3PO is almost lost forever— if the Yuuzhan Vong don't dismember him first— and R2 saves him.

Chapter 11 concludes “Part I: Threshold,” and my goal for “Part II” is to not have it take me another year. I want to do this. I can do this. I just need to apply myself and put in the effort.

The Post-Yuuzhan Vong war era is a brand new one, and who knows? Maybe I'll fall in love with it.

May the Force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment