Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Mando'a Quotes

I am in the process of learning Mando'a.

In the Star Wars Expanded Universe (EU), Mandalorian culture and customs were explored in depth. All of that is Legends now, and no longer canon, but it still exists for fans to enjoy.

Part of that enjoyment for me is learning to speak the language created for the Mandalorians of the EU: Mando'a.

I made flashcards, and I'm working my way through them, focusing on accuracy, pronunciation, and spelling. In the process, I make up little sentences to demonstrate to myself familiarity with the meaning behind the word. (For example: "Me'suum'ika. In the EU, they dropped a me'suum'ika on Chewie's head." Oh. Spoiler alert.)

That gave me an idea. Instead of making up sentences, why not use ones already created?

I've taken that idea and extended it to Twitter. I'll be posting Star Wars quotes with words changed into the language of the Mandos. I will also post pronunciation helps, since Mando'a is not intuitive for the English speaker. Or... at least... not this English speaker.

I'm coming up with a list of quotes at the moment, and I'll be digging for more as we go. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do!

The Force will be with you, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment