Friday, June 30, 2017

Wild Speculation #3: Wynonna Earp Season 1 Episode 1, Purgatory

Warning: This post will contain spoilers for this episode.

I rarely enjoy the main female lead in any story. I usually ending up preferring one of the side characters instead.

Less than nine minutes in, I was beginning to suspect I might like Wynonna. Though I confess I'm sorry the blond at the beginning went. Why do horror TV shows always kill off the side character most interesting to me first?

Anyway.

I was fairly certain I liked Marshal Dolls, right up until the end, where he tries to out-dominate a clearly dominant personality type. Not only do I think it was the wrong play, I think it was a display of ego... and I dislike the arrogant characters. Give me a Thrawn any day. Han Solo? Yeah, I'll leave him to you, thanks.

Ten minutes in we had Wyatt Earp's name dropped as her ancestor, and the OK corral mentioned as well. I grew up on stories of Earp and OK, and when I heard about this TV show, I really hoped it somehow connected with all of that. The moment they mentioned Doc Holliday and the fact that he had TB? I lost my mind.

And Holy Sith, Malcolm pulling the tongue out of that guy's mouth? Wow.

I love the idea that Wynonna's backstory is a bit less straightforward than Dad-taken-and-killed. That she tried to save him, and in the attempt, shot him. Now I'm going to say this here and now, though: In season 3 or 4 I imagine they would open the can of worms that says she wasn't the one who shot him. Someone else was there and did that, and her bullet went wide. I hope they don't, but I have a very sneaking suspicion it'll happen.

Take a deep breath baby girl. That end fight scene where Wynonna is juggling between fighting and holding her hanging sister? Wow. That was different from the usual fight scene choreography.

The question of what did Wyatt do to end up with this curse heading down his line is a very interesting question, and I don't actually have any theories as of yet, except maybe he shot someone loved by some sort of spell-caster, but I anticipate they'll make it quite a bit more interesting than I just said.

Now. The Man Who Climbed Out of The Well.

Yes.

Who is this guy? Is he Doc Holliday? They went out of their way to specify how Doc died early on in the episode, and yes, while I was completely geeking out about it, I was aware enough to know that was an odd thing to put in there if it doesn't prove useful later.

If not Doc, he could easily be one of the other Earp brothers, because Wyatt was by no means the only son of that house.

However it turns out, I'm looking forward to episode 2, and for a TV show pilot, that's unusual for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment