Friday, November 11, 2016

Adventures of Eegan: Explanation

Greetings, all.

I recently decided to take the plunge and get involved in Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR). I cannot tell you how excited I am to discover the stories tucked away in this game. To me, story is the most fascinating part of the Star Wars universe, and I want to explore every story that Star Wars holds. It's like collecting action figures or POPs or posters, but instead of something physical, it's in my mind.

I played Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) some time back. It was my first introduction to a role-playing game, and I fell in love with the idea of role-playing. I played it through as a male lead, and somehow fell in love with Bastila. Then I played it again, this time as a female lead, and— even though Carth drove me crazy the first time through the game— somehow fell for Carth as well. Even funnier, I didn't like Bastila that second time. At all.

The emotional investment is what draws me to role-playing games in the Star Wars universe. I am here simply to throw myself headfirst into it and be that person for a few hours. I let it take me on an emotional roller-coaster, and everything in the “real world” ceases to exist for a while. My overactive imagination picks up where the game itself leaves off, creating one big crazy alternate reality.

This is what I will be sharing with you. How it feels to be me, playing a role-playing game. Expect it to completely ignore Syl's reality, and replace it with Eegan's. That may be unnerving for some people, so consider yourselves warned. I am not in need of comments telling me I should see a doctor or reevaluate my grasp on reality. In these posts, I am intentionally suspending disbelief, and offering all of you the chance to do the same. It's not everybody's cup of tea; so if it bothers you, make like a stormtrooper in Mos Eisley and move along, move along.

I have maybe forty minutes to an hour each day to play SWTOR, and some days, not at all, so my progression through the story will be fairly slow. When Knights of the Eternal Throne comes out, I intend to play that immediately, perhaps putting Eegan's story on hold. I will probably do an “Adventures Of” segment for that character too... whoever that ends up being. I'm considering a male... maybe Mirialan... hm...

Adventures of Eegan” will be written from Eegan's point of view. Completely. When I say “I” or “me,” I will be meaning the character of Eegan: a young female Zabrak Jedi initiate. The idea to share this with all of you came to me a little late, so Eegan is a level 18 Jedi Guardian, who has already accomplished several missions.

As I go, I may decide to interject some “Syl” comments as well. I will find some way of formatting it to make the distinction clear. Perhaps a written version of the LARP option of placing a hand on your head while speaking out of character...

I am not very good at games, so don't expect much finesse from Eegan, or Syl, at the moment. I am enjoying the journey, and I'm happy to share it with you.

I have one more warning for you. While I intend to write “Adventures of Eegan” (and her Knights of the Eternal Throne counterpart) in first-person, I have not decided on present or past tense yet. I may switch between the two while searching for my voice. I do not often write in first-person, so this is new territory for me. Your lenience is much appreciated, trust me.

Also: If you are not playing SWTOR... well...

Maybe you'll change your mind.

See you in a cantina somewhere, a long time ago and far, far away, or at a Star Wars Celebration on Earth! Until then, you can follow me on Twitter @StarWarsSyl.

The Force will be with you. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment