Friday, November 18, 2016

Web Weaver Update: Enter if You Dare

I did dare.

Now I'm sitting in the center of something massive.

I write novels because I can't imagine a life where I don't. Because I need to write them. It's not a hobby, it's not an enjoyable pastime. It's a drive. I must write. It's not a compulsion coming from the outside. Telling stories through the written word is part of who I am in my deepest soul.

I write... a lot. I have yet to successfully write a stand-alone novel. The universes I dream up are just too big for one book, and each ends up becoming a series. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but knowing what I know about the ideas that flood my mind...

I really probably shouldn't have begun spinning “a” Star Wars fan story.

Or, at very least, I should have known it wasn't going to end there.

And now I'm here. Looking out at a maze that didn't seem quite so large when I was in the middle of crafting it.

This web was meant for me alone. I wove it in my spare moments, using it to relax and scheme and explore Star Wars the way I'm built. Similar to a musically inclined fan who might write songs about Star Wars... or an artist fan who might draw beautiful pictures... or a young film enthusiast fan might make a film to enter into the Star Wars Fan Film Awards contest.

I built my web, I angled it to catch dew and the moonlight, and I reveled in making connections—

And then someone who loves me saw it. And told me I should share it.

At first, I felt very possessive about the whole thing. I didn't make it for all of you, I made it for me. It was a retreat, something special, something self-contained—

But this person wouldn't give up. She was sure there were people out there who would enjoy it too.

Of course, by that point, the “novels” mapped out... let's just say they were roughly 100,000 words each and...

There's over ten of them. To put it mildly.

I am now editing them with all of you lovely people in mind (though I'm not changing them for you. Sorry. They be... what they be), and I will begin to post them on Archive of Our Own. (http://archiveofourown.org/users/Star_Wars_Syl/profile)

Of course, just because I'm trying to bring all of you up to speed, by no means should suggest that I'm finished with said web.

No, no, no.

There are plenty of new dimensions I have yet to explore, connections to make, traps to weave. I continue to write.

It's my passion.

But now, I'm going to take you behind the scenes with me. Trust me. This thread of the web isn't sticky. You can walk on it safely.

I promise....

May the Force be with you.

We're all going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment