Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Gothic Literature Explorations: Wuthering Heights Chapters 1-3

Hello! I'm Star Wars Syl and this is the Remember Clone Captain Keeli blog.



Warning: This post will contain spoilers for these chapters.



I am definitely enjoying the tone of this story, though I confess I had some trouble in the first chapter stemming from the fact that it has been a long time since I steeped myself in a book this old, and my brain kept snickering at all the potential innuendos scattered throughout the pages.

Once I managed to reset my perspective, the texture of the story began to feel like a welcome home.

While I have never read Wuthering Heights before, my preteen and early teenage years were filled with many an 1800s novel. It's been some time since I last read anything of that nature, and I'm discovering that I've missed the opulence and flair of the words used in that time period.

The main character's sudden need to be sociable appears to be a direct response to someone else not wanting to be so, which makes me think our “hero” is not being sociable at all, but a bit of a jerk, just to bother the other guy. Which is hilarious, and also makes me quite glad I know neither of them in real life.

I know nothing about this storyline, so this will be a brand-new experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment