Monday, July 24, 2017

Overall Impressions: Beauty and the Beast (2012-2016) Season 1

Hello! I'm Star Wars Syl and this is the Remember Clone Captain Keeli blog.


Warning: This post will contain spoilers for the episodes in this season, and any season that may come before it.



First:

Enjoyment factor. How much fun did I have watching this season of Beauty and the Beast?

There were some shining moments of goodguys being smart for once in this season that I cheered for. And Evan. Oh, Evan, Evan, Evan. His final moments on this season were beautiful, and I would not have asked for anything more from him.



Second:

Fandom factor. How dedicated am I to these characters?

Gabriel ended up having more depth to his character than I anticipated, and I certainly enjoyed his struggle, and his fear of losing himself completely— to the point where he believed suicide to be an option over permanently becoming the mindless Beast. There was a desperation and believably to his fight to live that I could respect.

I liked Tess right from the start, and that hasn't changed after a season with her. Heather is adorable and sweet, and I wish Cat wouldn't get so caught up in Emergencies, Trademark, to the point where her sister is ignored and no longer deemed important. I'd like to see Cat learn to both save Vincent and cherish her sister too.

If you've been following along my episode-by-episode immediate reactions, you already know how much I like Evan. The man... yes. Definitely my favorite character of season 1.

I really like Cat, which is unusual for me. Usually I dislike the “main” female lead, and end up gravitating towards one of the side characters instead. But... I really like Cat.

How dedicated am I to this plot?

I'm certainly alright with it. On the run from a Big Murky Organization certainly gave context to these people.

How dedicated am I to this world?

Do I want to write fan fiction set in this universe? I don't think I'm ready to quite label myself a Beauty and the Beast fan (what are they called, anyway?), but if they continue on as they have, it might happen. I'm already toying with the idea of writing an Evan story about what he was thinking in the last moments of his final episode.



Third:

Representation factor. Did I feel at home and with friends, or did I get pulled out of the experience by not seeing my world mirrored back?

Gender & Sexual Orientation. Cat. A cop who can both interrogate, hunt down a perp, soundly best him in a hand-to-hand fight, and give a little victory dance at a baseball game. She is an amazing fighter, a smart goodguy (quite the feat in today's story writing climate), a kind person, and a loving sister. I love the fact that she has a partner who is also a lady. Cat and Tess are an awesome team, and they get the job done. However, there are no recurring characters that do not appear to be heterosexual. I certainly saw no clearly asexual characters, or clearly aromantic characters. Lots of talk about romance and sex, however, so allosexual heterosexual people were firmly represented... and if there are any nonbinary genders involved, the audience is not told.

Appearance. We have some characters of color, our heroine and her sister, and her partner. This is awesome. We also have the boss, and I'm not sure what to make of him as a person yet, and Gabriel. Whose chapter, sadly, is closed. Almost all of the recurring characters are “slender,” to quote the X-Wing books, with only the exception of JT... the glasses-wearing geek. Who also, at the beginning of this season, was presented as girlfriend-challenged. Which leads us straight into...

Subculture. We have one geek. His appearance is rather standard for a geek in the media. I still don't know if I'm comfortable with that or not. We have no recurring character as part of an alternative subculture— and I can't tell whether I'm sad by this, or relieved, because it means I'm not having to watch another Goth stereotype. Ah, well.

Faith. Don't really know. I do hope that if they decide to touch on the faith aspect, it won't only be in conjunction with a serial-killing pastor. Looking at you, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and so many other franchises. I'd like to see individuals of various faiths represented in a respectful, reasonable way.

Invisible Illnesses/“Disabilities.” I can't think of any, off the top of my head. Guess that answers that question. Nothing memorable. Though I did have a bonding moment over Vincent's struggle searching for a cure and could relate to that, the relatability for me was just that one episode, and the rest have felt too superhero Hulk instead of Hero-Fighting-Function-Crippling-Disease.

Let's recap: what did they do well? Our hero is an amazing person. She has an awesome partner. These things are good. Should the TV show be thrown out because it doesn't mirror the reality of human experience? No. When you go to write a TV show, would I appreciate it if you tried to let us see people like us on screen? Yes.



Fourth:

Stand-out moments or quotes.

Evan's decision to help, and all that follows for his character. His death was beautiful and poignant. Probably my favorite sequence of season one, because of the selfless love it demonstrated. He loved Cat, and even though he'd been given the short end of the stick and was going to die because of it, he didn't resent that. Instead, he chose to make every last second count to try to give Cat a chance to live the life of her dreams with Vincent.

Also: when Vincent said, “We can never get married,” and Cat's reply was, there's a lot of people in this country who can't get married.



Fifth:

Conclusion.

I highly enjoyed the experience of this first season. Will I watch it again? Because of Evan, I think there's a good chance I might. I will definitely be watching his final episode again, whether I go through the others at that time or not, because it's the kind of hero exit that I really appreciate.

Am I ready to cosplay as any of these characters? Not yet, but we definitely might get there. Fan art of Evan is a definite possibility. Do I look forward to season 2? It's definitely not going to be a chore.

And that concludes this in-depth look at how I felt about Beauty and the Beast Season One!

No comments:

Post a Comment