Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Wild Speculation #11: Beauty and the Beast (2012-2016) Season 1 Episode 11, On Thin Ice

Hi, Everyone! I'm Star Wars Syl and this is the Remember Clone Captain Keeli blog.


Warning: This post will contain spoilers for this episode, and any episodes that came before it.


We're back to the “something went wrong” intro speech. It's a bit shorter than the original one, but I confess I prefer the openings we had for a couple episodes over this particular intro.

Leave a message and if I don't get back to you it's probably because I don't really like you.”

What a wonderful answering machine message!

Some very heavy conversations took place in this episode. I think the concept that stuck out at me most was when Cat told Vincent, you haven't told her yet [about his current condition and the threat to his life] and until you do isn't all this just a fantasy?

In so many stories we see characters who have relationships built on carefully-structured falsehoods. Those falsehoods always end up slipping, the other finds out, and the apparently idyllic relationship either shatters or ends up very strained.

Too often characters respond by it was all okay; the problem is the other found out as opposed to seeing the Fake Person as being the source of the problem. Cat's way of looking at it was very interesting to me. Until you're fully honest with your significant other, is that relationship even real, or is it just an elaborate roleplay?

An interesting thought to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment