Monday, July 3, 2017

Would Thrawn Have Been in Clone Wars? (I Don't Know)

Hi everyone, I am Star Wars Syl and this is the Remember Clone Captain Keeli blog.


This post contains potential spoilers for the novel Thrawn (2017) by Timothy Zahn, as well as information from the Untold Clone Wars panel from Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2015 regarding the unfinished Clone Wars seasons 7 & 8.


During the Untold Clone Wars panel from Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2015, the fans learned about some of the stories that would have been in Star Wars: The Clone Wars seasons seven and eight.

One of these ideas included a new, canon version of the Yuuzhan Vong. They would not have been what we are familiar with from the EU. As everything drawn from the EU into canon, there would have been changes (some major), but the designs were being worked on, and artwork of one of the ships was revealed.

The idea was that this was a scout ship sent ahead to have a look at the galaxy, to see if it was ready for invasion yet. They would decide there were too many Jedi, and choose to wait for another, better time.

The episode was supposed to have a mysterious, spooky, abducted by aliens feel that we haven't seen in Star Wars TV before, and I think it would have been a nice addition to the many genres represented in Clone Wars.

I confess that at the time, I was more interested in other story ideas that hadn't been fleshed out, so I didn't pay much attention to the Yuuzhan Vong story idea except to think, wow, that would have been interesting, I wonder what it would have been like.

That all changed with the new Thrawn novel.

Ahead there be spoilers, so if you don't want to see them, this is your final warning.

Thrawn has a conversation with Palpatine, and within it, the information is revealed that he met Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars era. They worked together and then parted ways, Anakin going home to tell Palpatine about the Chiss mastermind he'd encountered.

First of all: my mind shattered. I completely lost it. I was reading the story aloud to my Mom (another serious fan of Zahn's work) at the time, and I could not keep reading, I was so busy talking about what that could mean, and how epic it was for me as a fan to know that Anakin Skywalker (not Vader) knew Thrawn, and that Thrawn knew him.

And then I got to thinking about the unmade Clone Wars episodes, and remembered the intended Yuuzhan Vong story....

Suddenly things got even better. What if that meet up was not just Timothy Zahn being utterly awesome, but would actually have been portrayed on screen too? Would Thrawn have had an episode in Clone Wars to work side-by-side with Anakin Skywalker?

I have no solid answers to that, but I love the idea. I really hope it's true, and I very much hope that the unfinished Clone Wars episodes will be finished an arc at a time and released on Netflix as single-shot stories. That, or finish each arc as its own film, and release them in the summer, in between seasons of whatever will follow after Rebels is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment