Sunday, July 9, 2017

Wild Speculation #15: Beauty and the Beast (2012-2016) Season 1 Episode 14, Tough Love

Hi, I'm Star Wars Syl and this is the Remember Clone Captain Keeli blog.


Warning: This post will contain spoilers for this episode, and any episodes that came before it.


This episode was rather uncomfortable for me. I love Tess and Cat's relationship and I also love the relationship between Heather and Cat. Seeing them so strained is a bit painful, though I have hopes both will end up resolved. Probably only after both women being lied to end up in the know. Late this season, or next season possibly?

Okay. Evan gave the subtle signals that should be warning flags for Been Approached By Muirfield. It would have been hard to say it louder. He said he'd been given “an offer.” He spoke to Cat about it, which is big, considering he knows she's been lying to him all along, and it's his life she's lying to him about. That's a big gesture of goodwill/faith, and it has all the hallmarks of being the last one.

While I love Cat, and I understand she was terrified about her sister, she displayed a remarkable case of tunnel vision, and everyone will suffer because of it. Including Heather. That's great you kept her from choking to death, but since you refused to pay attention to the oncoming train, it only staves off death five seconds. Congratulations, Darling, I'm so proud of you. You're concern for your sister's safety does you credit.

What Heather needed in that moment was not a panicker. She needed someone able to take on the immediate sword fight and notice the bomber coming in low to drop death down on their heads. Cat wasn't prioritizing, she was narrowing her sphere of responsibility to the point where she— and everyone else— will be hit broadside by something they had no excuse for not seeing coming.

Now Even is not brought in, and the Captain's baby brother is dead. Cat, by her refusal to make the best of a situation out of control, and by getting ahead of the fire perhaps direct it, has now practically driven Evan into Muirfield's arms. What other choice has she really given him?

And in the meantime, we get to experience the up-down-up-down of Cat and Vincent's relationship which has been a key theme of this season. They decide yes, ten seconds later it's no again, back and forth. I'm confident that won't change for a good long while yet, end of this season, or, Force forbid, the end of the final season. Please no.

Ah, well, I suppose this falls squarely in the category of Supernatural Romance. Only... it's sci-fi. He's a werewolf, but without the moon.

Okay. I'm not done whining about the Evan situation. Feel free to close out this window now, since I know I'm going to be unreasonable.

I am scared for you, Cat.” He's a cop and a decent person, and there's a potentially innocent man lying dead on his table, and Cat says trust me, you don't have to be. I will give you, O Reader, twenty seconds to decide if that's a good play. I love Cat. Just an episode or so ago she was raving about Alex not playing smart, but here she's refusing to listen to her own (very good) advice.

As for what I really, really liked— the comment that having a brother taken makes you do crazy things...

Like enlist? JT asks. Like say yes to those crazy experiments, Vincent replies.

I am changing my speculation from before. I no longer think JT is his brother, but I think Vincent did have one or more brothers, and that something bad happened to one or more. In fact, I'm going to narrow it down: my insane speculation is as follows.

Vincent has two siblings. One, a brother, died. It sent the other two in different, but both harmful, ways. Vincent into the crazy experiment, and the other sibling, into something much darker. Perhaps a life of crime, or to be a hitperson, or something, and that particular sibling will be an antagonist later on in the series. Maybe not this season, but season 2 or 3.

And one more thing, because I forgot to earlier— I'm torn between thinking Alex is quite dead, or a hostage of Muirfield. No brain matter, so she could always show up again... but I think it would be rather eloquent for her to be dead with none of our heroes knowing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment